Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tapout Mouthguard Review

They call it the most advanced mouthguard ever, it has a $30.000 dental warrenty, it's rather cheap and on top of that it looks very cool.

Very appealing wrapping, almost promising machoness 
I haven't fully tested the mouth guards protection of my teeth, because that could result in loss of teeth and at least a bad headache.
What I have tested is the fit and the feel and how user-friendly it is.

It isn't really clear what makes this mouth guard the "most advanced mouth guard ever created" apart from the good looks, it looks kind of ordinary shaped and the tapout mouth gueard homepage does not give out much information. The only thing that seems special is the straps which you can put on the mouthguard making it easier to boil for the fitting.


It really does look very very nice!


When you have fitted the mouthguard it is still difficult to see what's so advanced about it. It feels like my first standard mouth guard... only a bit cooler.
As is said earlier I can't tell how well it protects my teeth all i can do is trust Tapouts marketing. The only thing I know is that, because I have to bit down on the rather thick middle piece all the time, I get cramps in my jaw muscle which makes a hook to the chin a bit more painful.
... I still don't know why it is the most advanced!

Just to be sure about my review, I fitted the 2nd mouthguard and bit down even harder to make et even more tight, so that I would not have to bite down all the time. I thought that would stop my jaw muscles from cramping, but it did not stop.
My best guess is that its caused from pushing my lower forward.

Conclusion:
I don't know how good it protects, but you probably get a lot of protection at little cost. The design is also(in the tapout spirit) very cool, but because I can't use use it, I cannot give it a higher score than just average.
But if you really like the looks, there is many people who does not have these problems.
If you want the best protection I would go for a dental made mouthguard or a shockdoctor gel max(which i really like).

Overall score: 5/10

2 comments:

  1. If your wearing any guard and you have dizziness, the sensation of seeing stars, headaches from MTBI. Your a candidate for a corrective procedure that was developed with Marvin Hagler and used in the NFL for two decades An evaluation of you bite, clicking, poping in the joint, misalignment of teeth or uneven clenching is a sign of some form of jaw derangment. A fitting protocol that takes a corrective orthotic bite prior to the construction of an orthodontic retainer like mouth guard, may help reduce these MTBI symptoms. Its been found in research, these "events" are cumulative and should not be ignored. www.mahercor.com has much more on how to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEP douchbag technology built right in!

    ReplyDelete